I received some black spaghetti for Christmas (colored with squid ink) and immediately thought this would go great with some Thai food! Here’s the recipe that came to me. It was quite tasty! (FYI – The pasta tastes the same as regular – the color has no effect on the flavor.)
- 2 cups carrots, sliced on the bias
- 2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut the 2” pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 med shallots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, sliced into thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 tsp hot chili paste
- 2 tsp sweet chili paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 12 oz black spaghetti (or other pasta), prepared by package directions
1. Mix together fish sauce, both chili pastes, sugar, and vinegar and set aside.
2. Saute carrots and green beans in oil on med high until lightly browned on edges. Add bell pepper and shallots and cook until veggies are crisp tender. Add garlic and ½ of the basil and the shrimp. Saute quickly until shrimp are almost cooked through. Pour in prepared liquid and toss to coat.
3. Pour onto prepared pasta, toss, and serve!