I presented this list at our Fellowship of Retired Persons meeting last month and a number of people asked me to post it on my website. So, here it is.
Some of these are ‘off the beaten path’. There are other dishes in area to try (e.g. Perry’s porkchop), but these are likely some that you may not have had yet. They are in no particular order.
1. The “Stone Bowl” at Korean BBQ (435 El Dorado)
The best way to describe this is like fried rice prepared tableside. Very fun experience.
2. Grilled Pork Vietnamese Sandwich at Nobi (528 & Blackhawk)
A crispy French roll with grilled pork, shredded carrots, cucumber, cilantro, and jalapenos. If you want it less spicy, make sure to ask for no jalapenos.
3. Jerk Chicken at D’Caribbean Curry Spot (2548 Broadway St, Pearland)
Everything here is an experience in the Caribbean. Make sure to try the doubles – chickpeas in a zesty sauce in a flatbread.
4. Seafood Gumbo at Floyds (Pearland)
The best gumbo around! Shrimp are perfectly cooked.
5. Bratwurst at King’s Biergarten (1329 East Broadway)
In same location as King’s Carwash across from Floyds. Very authentic German food.
6. Pupusa at King Chicken (548 West Nasa Parkway)
Think of a pupusa as a thick stuffed tortilla with a cole slaw side. Pretty tasty!
7. Fried Chicken at Pollo Campero (702 W Bay Area Blvd)
A Guatemalan chain. Very good chicken and sides.
8. Vanilla Iced Nirvana at Dunn Bros Coffee
Cold brewed coffee with vanilla and cream. A good smooth afternoon treat!
9. Homemade tamale plate at Alamo Tamales (13914 Highway 3 – near 2351)
Tamales with chili and queso. Not for those on a diet.
10. Philly Cheese steak at Antonini’s Subs (Med Center Blvd and hwy 3)
He’s from New Jersey, but he makes a pretty good cheese steak. You will get messy, but it’s worth it.